PSHE & Relationship Education
At Romans Field we want our children to understand themselves, their emotions, the feelings of others, and become healthy, independent and responsible members of society. The children learn about their emotions and the feelings of others in their PSHE lessons. In doing so, we adher to guidance issued by the Secretary of State in 2020:
Through personal, social and health education and relationships and sex education we aim to enable the children to:
- be prepared for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life;
- value themselves and others;
- acknowledge and appreciate difference and diversity;
- make informed choices;
- be positive and active members of a democratic society;
- understand what constitutes a safe and healthy lifestyle;
- undertake sensitive discussions within a supportive framework;
- promote safety in forming and maintaining relationships;
- to understand and manage their emotions using a toolkit which we provide;
- explore opportunities to consider issues which may affect their own lives and/or the lives of others;
- identify the characteristics of healthy relationships, how relationships may affect mental and physical health; and how to stay safe online;
- prepare for puberty, and give them an understanding of sexual development and the importance of health and hygiene;
- develop feelings of self-respect, confidence and empathy;
- create a positive culture around issues of sexuality and relationships;
- use the correct vocabulary to describe themselves and their bodies;
- be able to maintain positive physical and mental health.
Through this work we also aim to promote the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of all children.
Through our PSHE and RSE provision children’s reading and writing will improve through access to a range of texts and other resources. We believe that a language rich PSHE and RSE curriculum is essential to the successful acquisition of knowledge and to the development of the cultural capital of the pupils. The close connections with SMSC will be promoted through the teaching of PSHE and RSE to further develop the pupils’ knowledge and skills.